Sunday 3 June 2012

CAFE REVIEWS: CIRCA EXPRESSO, PARRAMATTA VS REVOLVER, ANNANDALE

You'd think that on a rainy day like today people would be cooped up inside their comfortable homes keeping warm but as I arrived at Circa Expresso I see tables filled with people.  Circa is a small cafe on Wentworth Street in Parramatta and width wise, it's tiny, but it does extend to the back where you see a private carpark.  The front decor looks quiet ordinary but as you step inside towards the back you see some antique furniture, wine bottles displayed on a shelve and filled with ancient encyclopedias.  Here, I was seated comfortably with my friends and it was quite warm inside.

The menu written on butcher paper for breakfast was quite extensive with creativity but there were less options for lunch.  Circa is famous for their baked eggs with sujuk (spicy Turkish sausages), danish feta, tomato and hints of chili on a pan.  Naturally I had to try this and I must say I love baked eggs (There were like two to three on the pan) even though they were half boiled so wasn't as runny as other cafes.  I finished the whole pan, it was really delicious.  The sujuk was yummy because it was spicy; the chucks of feta melted and was oozing; the tomato and its sauce was tasty and perfect with the sour dough.  I actually preferred this over the Revolver Big Breakie ($16.50).  The Big Breakie had two eggs baked in their house made beans, honey cured bacon, roast tomato, mushrooms, pork fennel sausage and toast.  The tomato sauce was a bit too much, too runny and soupy for my liking. The pork fennel sausage was a bit of a disappointment.  Perhaps the hint of mustard was a bit strange for my taste buds.  I also dislike baked beans so I couldn't finish the big breakfast like I did at Circa.  Eggs, bacon and sausages meant that the Big Breakkie was indeed a very hearty breakfast.

Baked eggs with sujuk, danish feta, tomato and hints of chili
Revolver Big Brekkie: two eggs baked in house made beans, honey cured bacon, roast tomato, mushrooms, pork fennel sausage and toast - $16.50

A my friend had the beans instead of the baked eggs ($13).  The beans were mushy but rather nicely spiced. I'm not a fan of beans but I think that if I had this dish, I could finish it off.  A great cafe or restaurant is somewhere that can create flavoursome dishes and can cook ingredients to appeal to their customers particularly when they don't fancy that ingredient.

Beans with spiced sausages @ Circa Expresso

Last time I walked by Circa I bought a take-away coffee and hated it because it was bitter perhaps a little burnt but given the wonderful faultless reviews, I tried it again.  My face lit up also when the female waiter mentioned they have a caramel blend of coffee.  I ordered a cafe latte, A and N ordered a cappuccino and flat white.  The blend of the coffee was a lot nicer this time with the hint of caramel but I still needed two spoonfuls of brown sugar.  I found the coffee is a lot stronger here so I can see why people love the coffee here but I prefer coffee that is smooth and not too strong in taste.  Subtle will be too weak so something in between in strength.

Cappuccino and Cafe Latte

After two hours, we were still sitting at the cafe.  I love the comfortable antique couch from the 18th century and the rain just got heavier making it more enticing to stay for a rhubarb tart (gushed it down so didn't have a photo of it) plus a sour cherry and walnut bread.  Rhubarb tart was sour from the chunks of rhubarb and the crust lacked crunchiness while the sour cherry and walnut bread was soft even when toasted.  I prefer bread that is slightly crispy when toasted.  Total bill for three was $60.

Sour cherry and walnut bread

Circa expresso is hidden in a laneway but is worth the trip and not far from Parramatta railway station (2 minute walk). Inexpensive, busy and thriving with enthusiastic young vibrant customers drawn from the hippy graffiti theme on their walls.  With much success and hype, this upcoming cafe, seem to have risen their prices of their baked eggs from $7 to $13 and other items on the menu in less than one year.  Looking at the menu, I would have loved to try the french toast with rhubarb, labne and pistachio ($13) and the portobello mushrooms stuffed with ricotta, walnut and basil ($7).  Nevertheless, still cheap for brunch and the waiters are really helpful, friendly and always smiling making service a priority. So  come here for the service, coffee, brunch, and the vibrant atmosphere.  It will leave you coming back for more.

Graffiti on Circa's wall


Summary Review of Circa:


Food rating: 9/10 (10/10 if it wasn't for the sweets)


Service rating: 9/10


Ambience rating: 9/10


Price: $ (cheap)


Overall rating: 9/10



Circa Expresso
21 Wentworth Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
Opening Hours
Tues - Fri: 7am till 4pm
Sat & Sun: 8am till 3pm


The Revolver at Annandale is a very similar funky, edgy cafe like Circa although the former appears to be more spacious except for the tiny tables.  There's a cute mermaid picture and graffiti on the walls too.  I was here on a Wednesday around 9.30 am and yet the cafe tables were quickly being filled up.  They must be rich locals because most people would be at work at that time.   It's no wonder weekends are extra busy and service then lacking.  I was greeted by the waiter and told to sit anywhere.  I ordered the big brekkie (above) and an orange juice.  Perhaps I should have tried their coffee too but I couldn't possibly order a coffee plus the big brekkie - it would be way too filling!  The orange juice was freshly squeezed and rather refreshing.

The Revolver indoors
Refreshing freshly squeezed OJ

It is hard to review food without tasting more than one thing on the menu as people love the Revolver and yet I didn't like the big brekkie.  The big brekkie was certainly appetising to look at but very average taste wise.  I could definitely say that the breakfast menu is quite extensive at the Revolver too and it is more expensive than Circa.  However, given the positioning, rents would be more expensive out at Annandale compared to Parramatta.  Getting to Annadale is better by car than bus from the city as there were plenty of car parking spaces.  Also, I had to walk about 7-10 minutes from the bus stop coming in from the city.


Summary review of Revolver:


Food rating: 7/10


Service rating: 7/10


Ambience rating: 7/10


Pricing: $$


Overall rating: 7/10




Revolver Cafe
291 Annandale Street
Annadale  NSW  2038
Opening hours
Monday to Sunday 8am to 4pm


No comments:

Post a Comment